
Fisher has never taken a pacifier. He started sucking his thumb when he was around 4-5 weeks old and only sucks it when he is tired or hungry.We have recently entered the realm of teething. Unfortunately, Fisher has not been one of those babies who do not seem to notice when they are teething. Granted, he is not as bad as some that I have heard about but we are well aware of the little white terrors waiting to emerge from his gums.
Yesterday, as he was have a screaming fit that was not related to being tired or hungry, I tried to give him a pacifier to suck on. Sucking is supposed to soothe and since he was choosing not to soothe himself with his thumb I figured I could try baiting him with a pacifier. It was quite obvious, two seconds into me having given it to him, that Fisher had no clue what to do with it. He pulled it out of his mouth and started to chew on the side. A few minutes later I found him trying to gag himself with the pacifier and chewing on it every way except for the right way. I eventually took it away without the slightest fuss from him, apparently no love being lost.
I guess I should feel lucky that I won't have a three year old screaming "Where's my paci?!?!?! I want my paci!!" For this I am grateful.
1 comment:
Your commentary on Fisher is as entertaining as his photos.
Post a Comment