I have not seen my (Great) Uncle Bruce or Aunt Diana in fifteen years. This part of the trip was just as much fun for us as NYC for completely different reasons.
They were so sweet and interesting to talk to but most of all they were funny. We laughed a lot. I loved hearing the family stories about my grandparents. I love to read historical fiction and it was like reading one of my books except these stories were the real deal!
I also loved seeing Diana's travel photo albums. They have seen a lot of the world.
They picked us up from the ferry and we returned to their house so that we could change our clothes before heading out to dinner at their country club with two of their friends. They were so nice. Bruce calls them the "crippled" club. He is a funny guy and supplied us with jokes every chance he got.
I had the most delicious curry chicken.
A couple of the waitresses were from Japan and when they found out that I was moving there they brought me out some magazines one of them had just brought back from a trip back home. The other one made me an origami crane for good luck. It is hanging on my glass in the picture. They taught me how to say thank you in Japanese so I guess I am all set. :)
(Speaking of which, Todd finally received his stack of paperwork to start processing our move. It is a little overwhelming to think about everything we have to do to prepare!)
That night my mom and I took turns riding the electric chair up and down their stairs. We loved it 15 years ago and it was still fun to do.
A picture together to remember a wonderful visit.
They had a beautiful back yard. In fact, the whole area they live in was beautiful. While my parents have wild horses in Reno, out here there are wild deer. Or tame dear more like it. There were three of the back against the fence.
When they got tired of us oogling them they stood right by the fence...
And hopped right on over.
I have to mention Phoebe too sine she is part of their family. She is a dog they rescued a few years back. It was cute how Bruce & Diana talked to her.
It was sad saying good-bye. My mom especially was emotional as being there reminded her of her own parents. Bruce is my late grandpa's only sibling and there were so many things about him that reminded us of Grandpa. Being in their house took my mom back to her childhood.
Muhammad came and picked us up to make the 40 minute drive back to the airport. I call this picture "Ready to travel."
Our last view of the NYC Skyline off in the distance. That day was almost 90 degrees and muggy so the view wasn't as clear.
We had a layover in Chicago.
Took off into the sunset...
Said goodbye to Chicago as well.
And returned home to a house full of cute little boys who I was able to appreciate all the more because of my weekend away. The boys loved their shirts and giant pencils and the Angry Bird fruit snacks from FAO Schwartz.
The next morning we found our wild rabbit, Pickle, had finally returned to our yard. Cooper has been missing him for weeks. I think he was off with a lady friend celebrating the arrival of spring. Unless Pickle is actually a lady and then we might be seeing that SHE was off celebrating with a male friend. Time will tell.
It was a wonderful trip with a lot of fun memories.
Thanks Mom! And thank you Todd. I am such a lucky girl to be married to you. :)
I guess I can say that my birthday is finally over 3 months later.
Now I might get around to posting about Easter.
Although I wouldn't hold your breath.
2 comments:
Fun!! My favorite was the picture of the Empire State Building at night!
Great pictures Meagan! It's funny - I have the exact pictures of the "tourist" spots,NBC, Radio City, Trump Plaza....Me in front of Tiffany's - in fact I think I was your age. :) Uncle Bruce & Aunt Diana look great. He looks so much better than he did when we were last there about 2 years ago. He had just had treatment for health issues. So glad you and your mom had a great time. :) Are you getting excited for Japan or just overwhelmed at the moment thinking of it.:)
Love
Aunt Jackie:)
Post a Comment