Tuesday, September 17, 2013

SLC for a sad occasion




I went out to Utah last minute for my Uncle Kevin's funeral.  It was such a sad, emotional time but at the same time it allowed me to reconnect with all my family out west and to have some time with my siblings while being kid free, which was wonderful.
Kevin had a big, adventurous heart and is greatly missed.

 I didn't take my camera to UT but had my ipad around so these pictures aren't the best quality but I wanted to remember this trip so here goes.  
I spent a really fun day with my two big brothers (and one of my SIL's) up in Park City and SLC while waiting for my little bro and parents to get into town.  It could not have been a more beautiful day. Steve and I enjoyed the lack of humidity that is so welcome to those of us who live away from the west coast.  In the spirit of Kevin, we did something adventurous and went on the fast tracks of the Alpine Coaster.  (Although Kevin would have made fun of Ken and my speeds. :)

 Beautiful day in Park City.


 Later we went to a cemetery (which was another appropriate task under the circumstances) that is home to a lot of the prophets of my church and found their resting places.  
Pres. McKay

 Pres. and Sis. Hinckley

 Pres. Taylor

 Pres. Heber J. Grant


 Pres. Woodruff

 Pres. George Albert Smith

 Pres. Kimball

 We did a drive by of temple square.  It is always fun to see where I was married.

 My brother Steve had a fun time stealing my i-pad.

 Which is why I have no problem showing the selfies he was taking.


Occasionally he would throw in a picture that wasn't of himself making a ridiculous face.  
Love ya bro. :)

Duck face with my little bro Robbie. (Except for Alicia who happens to look very cute.)


 The next morning/afternoon was a sad one.  It was surreal to think we were there for Uncle Kevin's funeral.


 My dad and his brothers performed a beautiful music number accompanied by my Grandma.  My dad was busy running around getting stuff ready while they practiced so he isn't in this picture but it was special to see them all sing together.

 Watching the video of Kevin's.

 Waiting for the service to start with my sweet Grandma.  I felt for her so much that day.

 The brothers and sisters with their spouses.  It was amazing how many Lund's were there.  I loved seeing everyone and was glad we were able to all come together.

 It was especially great being able to reconnect with my cousin Monica and her family.  (That's my brother in the pic- not her husband.  Hubby is in the background. :)

 Me with the girls. 

 There was a celebration of Kevin at a beautiful venue. 

It had the perfect view which overlooked the mine where he worked.


 After such a heavy day we decided to lighten it up (our moods- not the scale) with some ice cream.

 It was so much fun to be able to spend time with my brothers.  They are all such great guys and I love them a lot.  I sure wish we all lived closer and were able to get together more often but I appreciated the time we had.

 It was great seeing my SIL, Alicia, too. :)

 After 2.5 hrs of sleep, it was time to drive to the airport and say goodbye to the mountains.

 Utah is such a beautiful state. Hopefully I can make it back to visit again, this time with Todd & the boys
 Flying over the mountains.

 Flying over the midwest. (It will be a year in a couple of weeks since we moved from Nebraska to Virginia.) 

 Layover in Chicago.

 This is how I think of Kevin.  

I am sad Kevin is no longer here but I am happy he has good company with my Grandpa.
I am so thankful for the gospel and the knowledge that I have that I will see my family again. 
I am grateful for my Savior who sacrificed his life and atoned for our sins so that we all can have the opportunity to be families forever.

1 comment:

Robbie+Erin said...

well done sister.