So yesterday was a big day for Todd as he officially joined the Air Force. He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Reserve of the Air Force until he graduates from dental school and then he will start active duty and can move up in the officer rankings. He will have to work for the AF for four years in order to pay back the four years of dental school which they will pay for. He will then be in the inactive reserves for an additional four years after that....We know it sounds like a huge commitment. It IS a huge commitment but it was worth it to us to not be hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and then having to buy into a practice. By going this route we won't have too much debt, Todd will automatically have a job afterwards so no stress in finding a practice or even scarier having to start up his own, and it will give him an opportunity to gain some experience. Who knows, if we were to like it enough Todd could work for the AF for 20 years and retire on officer's pay and that wouldn't be so bad. So to us, this is a win-win situation even though some of you may be thinking we are crazy.
When he wasn't trying to escape from the room, Fisher enjoyed playing with the flags and the typewriter.
Todd signing his life away...Some of things he signed were that if he fails out of school he will re-pay all the debt, he has to attend the Commissioned Officer Training (COT), and if he passes up a certain weight then he will have to participate in the Fitness Improvement Program which I have been calling Fat Man Camp.
This was Todd taking his oath during the commissioning ceremony.
Todd with his recruiter, Sgt. Potts. He came down from Indianapolis for the ceremony. Nice guy.
There's no turning back now! We are so excited for this next phase in our lives. Although we will be poor students for four more years we are just excited to finally have a plan and a new place to live.
7 comments:
Congratulations to Todd! What a huge step, but a step in the right direction. I can't seem to shake the feeling that we are actually growing up. I think 4 years is fair for the lack of debt, which seems to be ever increasing. Oh and I love the term "fat man camp!"
I don't think it is crazy at all... it seems like such a smart move for you guys. The future is very promising going this route. Todd does look very offical signing away. Do we have to call him second lieutenant Todd now?
Congrats to you guys though. This stuff is so exciting!
So todd because i wasnt allowed to join the military, i know offically give you the tourch and responsibility to kill osama bin laden, i know its a big task but youll have to get it done. I would say semper fi but thats the marines! I really respect your decision that is an awsome thing you are doing, i want you to become the first general ( whos a dentist)!!! CONGRATULATIONS
Congrats to Todd. Does that mean that Fisher is a third lieutenant? I think you made a wise decision and you won't regret it. Good luck to you guys. See you in May :)
Wow! Congrats guys!Does Todd have to salute now?
Seriously... it is a huge honor to serve your country and I'm so proud of you two for taking that step.
Congrats! My brother-in-law went through the military to pay for his medical school and he's serving back his time now at a base in North Carolina. It's worked out well for them, I'm sure it will work well for you guys, too. Oh, and that's a really cute picture of you two, holding up the certificate. :)
Congrats! I am jealous that your debt will be minimal, but Ken in the military? Yea, right! Go Todd!
Alicia
Post a Comment