Thursday, December 20, 2007

Kentucky Christmas all blown up...

Driving around our neighborhood we have enjoyed the festive decorations. We aren't sure if it is just a Kentucky thing but this year we have noticed new decorations of epic proportions...the Christmas blow up. It is very common to see one or two in a yard...and then there is always the occasional house with six...or eight..or more...


Kentucy's version of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. This house is awesome.

A yard wouldn't be complete without a giant cross front and center.


This house decided to stick with the traditional Santa, tree & giant snowman.


This one went a little more unconventional with a polar bear on a motorcycle and a penguin riding sidekick in the bucket seat and a Dalmatian Santa.


Santa popping out of an igloo...and of course, the abominable snowman holding a star.


Santa's Rock Band.


The Grinch and a monkey Santa with monkey pals.


Everyone needs a giant Scooby Doo to fend off Santa.


The standard snow globe, snowman and Santa accompanied by their sweet ride parked on the grass. I dedicate this picture to my late Grandpa Lund :)


Polar bears aren't the only ones on motorcycles with penguin side-kicks.


Santa riding a pair of flamingos...


I have to be honest-this one really creeped me out. Santa had a lot going on in his belly but I am not sure what.



What the blow ups look like during the day when they are actually blown up.


What most of the houses look like during the day before the blow ups come to life.

What some Kentucky residents use to weigh down their blow ups...

8 comments:

Michele said...

I actually saw a house with a few blow ups and thought they were crazy tacky. I can't believe how many houses you found! My personal favorite is santa on flamingos..of course right? Please tell me there are none in your yard:)

GordonandChrissy said...

That is hilarious. There are some of those blow-up things out here, but I don't think I've ever seen THAT many, especially in ONE yard. Holy cow.

Anonymous said...

You should have seen this house in Chicago. THey had so many blow-ups they didn't even bother taking them down during the day. More than 30 (no joke). The best was that they had a Giant Chicago Bears blow-up towering over all of the snow globes on their driveway. I should have taken a picture.

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! I've noticed them alot this year out here also. But I do have to say the yard with the liqud refreshments is the best :).

Merry Christmas!
Karen

Melissa said...

I think I am going to have use that photo of the vodka bottles. That is just too classic. How do I know what you commented on? What's this email notification you said?

Jamie said...

I love that you posted this- and took pictures! this was one thing we always laughed at (and still reminise about) We will always remember ky being famous for christmas blow ups!!! no matter how tiny or humble a house was, they seemed to have priorities spending their life savings on a yard full of blow ups! HILARIOUS!!!! gotta love kentuckians!

Justin and Amy said...

That is hilarious! I have never seen so many blow up decorations. And I think you should join in the fun next year. Hey... I bet those things go on major sale right after Christmas. You can get all stocked up for next year:)

Deanna said...

You had Ron and I laughing SOOO hard! Ahh, the memories... and mostly in your own little cul-de-sac! I KNOW whose yard had the Smirnoff bottles in it! :o)

Funny, not a single blow-up with Santa riding a Nascar...