So this weekend Williamsburg was free for military families although we learned that most of the stuff the kids would be interested in is free anyway. We went to go check it out on Saturday. Parking was packed and there were a lot of people there so we plan on going back another time that is not on a three day holiday weekend.
We parked over closer to what I would dub as more of the college side of town. I knew we were close to the ticket booth when I saw this bookstore that I recognized from when I took the boys on a drive to find out where Williamsburg was.
I can't wait to check it out. The boys loved the windows already decked out with Christmas themes.
Lots of cute collector Christmas books.
I wouldn't mind this one even though I probably already own all of them. :)
While Todd acquired our tickets, the boys spun around and around on this pole while occasionally running into the poor innocent victim who was too busy looking up at the ticket price sign to notice what they were doing. I was glad to be done with this area.
Our little map to help us know where we were headed.
Fisher had a lot of fun looking at the map and figuring out where we were. Cooper had more fun running everywhere...into the street, in the dirt and into places where he wasn't supposed to go.
They had so many cute little shops. In a way, it was very similar to Nauvoo. These are the Tailor's shop and shoemaker.
We went into the Weaver's shop. They are really hard core about no liquids/food. I even had to spit out my gum.
Todd was interested to see how to spin wool but Cooper and Fisher grew bored pretty quick.
It was a beautiful day to be there.
I loved seeing everyone dressed up.
There were plenty of places to spend money. This was the garden. There were baskets, pottery, seeds/bulbs and other little trinkets for sale.
About this time the boys were on a quest for food and not as interested in seeing anything.
Tucker was making all kinds of observations. He liked the church and noticed it was UP!
He loved the doggies everywhere.
All of the boys loved the horses pulling the carriage.
I was surprised that Cooper felt comfortable enough to pet the horse.
Normally he is a chicken once an animal gets too close.
We went into a little store (also reminded me a lot of Nauvoo or Kirtland.)
I had to chase Cooper from the other side of the rope. Give the kid boundaries and he is sure to cross them.
Out of all the hats in the store, the boys were most drawn to the feathers. :)
The other picture is toys for children. I would have liked to spend money on some of these but remained strong. We are currently working on getting rid of a lot of the kids' toys.
Once again, a beautiful day. Fisher was starting to feel frustrated that we weren't feeding him. He could smell food and was so hungry. We didn't realize how late it was.
I so need one of these in my house.
The cutest little six-almost seven- year old and monster baby you'll ever see (says the biased mom.)
We started hearing some noise and soon came across this.
Fisher's loved the guns at the very end.
( I do realize I could have sufficiently let you experience this with one picture but why limit myself to one when I can do FIVE? :)
There were so many pretty trees about that I just keep throwing random tree pictures up. :) This one won't be the last.
See? I told you it wouldn't be the last tree picture.
Here are my random pictures of buildings. I don't even know what most of them are since the boys were really hungry at this point in time and we didn't have a chance to check any of them out.
Here are my random pictures of buildings. I don't even know what most of them are since the boys were really hungry at this point in time and we didn't have a chance to check any of them out.
Little cannon out front the boys thought was fun.
Little market areas. I like the little bonnets.
Speaking of bonnets...
Cool building.
Now I am even starting to bore myself. Sorry to those of you who have actually read to this point.
At least, now you can get a feel for the place.
Fisher was starting to get really angry about this point in time that we weren't feeding him. We went back to our car in one hour parking with the intention of finding another parking spot, but we ended up leaving with plans to return on Monday once we realized how late it was.
Driving away I saw this shoe store they were working on inside. I love the sign and for that reason alone will check out the store one of these days.
A fun little fact: This is the location of the first hot air balloon flight in Virginia.
Man, this post is just getting better and better, eh?
(And so starts all my drive-by pictures.)
We drove by William & Mary. It is the second oldest college in the country after Harvard and was started in the 1600's. All I can say it that the campus is beautiful! It it everything that a small town college should be. I swear that it came right out of a movie or something.
One of the things I love about living where we do is all the old churches. Majority seem to be baptist but there are quite a few Episcopal ones, as well.
Driving away we saw this awesome hotel- the Williamsburg Inn. It is a five star hotel built by a Rockefeller in 1937. It was so cool. The picture is so great since it is a drive by shot.
More random buildings that I thought were cute.
Or cool.
And we can't forget my favorite drive by scenic pictures. :)
Such a beautiful town.
So exciting, right?
Anyway, we definitely plan on returning and are especially excited to go during the Christmas season.
One of these weekends we will venture to Jamestown. We still haven't seen Virginia Beach either.
So many places to go.
What to do!
3 comments:
Did Fisher finally get fed? Love the pics, we were SO close, darn rain!! Love you! MOM XOXO
Couldn't you have at least offered him some scooby snacks??? :) The colors of the trees are amazing! And I could see you owning on of those little quaint bookstores some day...or maybe just one in your house!
And by the way...who I am going to see the last Twilight with?
We went to Williamsburg years ago and LOVED it!!! So much for you to see and do back there. Have fun
Great pictures!
Jackie:)
Post a Comment