This was our 7th summer living in Louisville and we had never attended the Kentucky State Fair. Since it was our last chance (how weird to think we won't be here next summer!) we figured we should experience while we had the chance.
We knew we were in Kentucky when this is what the tailgate on the truck parked right in front of us had on it. I have never seen so many trucks in one parking lot but not all of them were as special as this one.
You also know you are in Kentucky when the transportation system consists of John Deere tractors.
It was hot and muggy outside so we thought we would start inside. I have never seen an ugly lamp contest before.
Fisher thought these were so funny.
Grandma & Grandpa Church came down for the weekend but Grandpa passed on the fair since he was not feeling well. We found our first cotton candy vendor within minutes of being inside the fair. It made all Fisher's dreams come true. We had been holding cotton candy over his head for weeks.
I have a lot of picture of Fisher eating the stuff, but there is something special about a kid experiencing the joy and rush of pure sugar on a stick.
That is some good stuff.
Thought I would get a shot of Freedom Hall.
Fisher found himself a comfy spot to sit and enjoy his sugar.
And enjoy he did, to the point of a practical sugar induced coma.
Cooper tried some of the pink stuff as well but ended up spitting it out. Smart kid. You might be wondering what that thing on his nose is (or you may not have been but I am going to tell you anyway.) He decided to dive face first off the couch one day and along with a big goose egg on his forehead he skinned his nose which turned into an almost blood blister looking thing. It took forever to heal and even now you can tell where it happened.
The boys taking a break in the shade experiencing fair food.
While we waited in the shade, Grandma decided to stand in line to purchase a Donut Burger. The line remained this long for the whole 45 minutes or so that we sat in this area.
Finally made it!
Nothing like a burger with tomatoes, onions, mustard and...two Krispy Kreme Donuts.
This is about the only reason I was excited to go to the fair. I am not a crowds, hot, humid weather, stinky animals kind of person in general so fairs are not my thing.
Grandma treated Fisher to a little Spiderman friend.
The two of them had a taste of funnel cake.
While walking around looking for Todd we came across the LumberJill competition. The sign had the slogan of "Chicks with Axes."
We also saw advertising for Pork Butt on a Stick. Fisher thought that was funny since "butt" happens to be one of his favorite words at the moment. Todd and I are thrilled. (Not.)
Eventually we found where Todd was working an oral cancer screening booth with some other people from his class . It was nice to be inside and the boys were happy to see their daddy. (The cotton candy is still there! He never quite finished it.)
The boys had fun playing with this cute dog, Dexter. Cooper scared the poor thing as he would go charging at full speed with hands wide open ready to grab hand fulls of fur. He has not had much exposure to animals and loves them more than they tend to love him.Here is a picture of Grandpa with the Coopster since I don't have any of him from the fair.

2 comments:
I can't believe you didn't get a corndog! The State Fair corndogs are the best corndogs I have ever had in my entire life. During both pregnancies I would dream about them.
Oh don't worry- I did get one, only to have Fisher eat 3/4 of it. :)
Post a Comment