Thursday, April 18, 2013

Virginia Beach Pier

Mom C. and Jedd came out for a visit the week before spring break.  We had a good time showing them around the area.  One day was spent taking the short drive to Virginia Beach.  We hadn't had a chance to see the 1st Street end of the beach or the boardwalk/pier so we decided to check it out.

Without hitting major traffic it is about 45 minutes to VB.  We drive past the naval base & shipyard.  It is fun for the boys to look at all the big ships and there are normally helicopters flying around.  It is about 30 mins from our house to the Norfolk airport which is the airport people tend to use.  VB is only 15-20 minutes past the airport.

The boats and houses around the marinas are fun to look at.

I don't know if people live in those houses or if they tend to be used as rentals.  Either way, they are sweet.


It was another cold day. Since then, we have hit 90 degrees.


There are fun little parks scattered along the beach.  I will have pictures of another one when I put up pics from my mom's visit.




Two of my favorite boys. :)

I don't really have a lot to say so there might just be a lot more pics with no narrative.


I think Mom & Jedd had fun.  At least it looks like did. :)


Jedd was on Cooper duty off in the back left.  The pier is in the background if you look close.  


I hate this picture because it shows what a chub I am but at the same time I like it because it is a picture with my Todd. :)   (I am working like crazy to lose weight but it has been so difficult.)  



After the park we drove down to see the boardwalk/pier.  I wanted to walk down the pier but it wasn't opening up until the next day.  They had a gate blocking the entrance.
Seeing how big it is puts things in perspective about what we see on TV when hurricanes are tearing them down.  They are big.  The waves must be huge!

On the other side of the boardwalk from the pier was a little area of amusement park rides for kids.  They were being inspected that day so the boys didn't get to ride on them either.  So they were so bummed so we will have to head back again before it gets too packed down there.




I loved the colors of this hotel.  VB really is a beach town. (At least along the waterfront.)


There were stores and a restaurant on the pier.  You can see the gate blocking the entrance to go out further.


We decided to eat at Ocean Eddies on the pier.  

Fisher was at school and would have been really mad if he knew we were playing without him.
The food was pretty greasy but the crab cakes were good.  We can say that we have eaten there now.




I love being by the ocean.  I am torn as to what I like more- living by the mountains or the water.  I guess that is why we will have to live up in Lake Tahoe one day. :)

(More updates to Our D.C. trip and pics of the boys in March/April before this.)

No comments: